Minutes of the Foundation School Committee at RILD Building, Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital, Tuesday 5th March, 8.30 or 10.00 – 13.00. 




Sarah Rawlinson (Health Education England), Trudi Geach (HEE), Natalie Band (HEE), Angela Cottrell (RDE), Alex Parr (F2 Rep), Jamie Dunn (TSDFT), Mandy Turner (TSDFT), Nina Bossa (RDE), Caroline Rawlings (NDHT), Himanshu Sharma (UPHT), Tom Smith-Walker (RCHT by telephone), Alok Bahl (F1 rep), Kate Talmage (UPHT), Elizabeth Ginn (TSDFT), Trudy Eddy (RCHT by telephone), Neil Walker (RDE), Tom Lewis (NDHT by telephone) 


Trainee Support  

Discussion was held on trainees in all trusts who are requiring additional support.  This part of the meeting involved the Foundation School representatives and FPDs only. 


1. Apologies: 

Giles Richards (Head of School of Psychiatry), Bill Wylie (Lay rep), Steven Burr (Medical School Representative Plymouth), Kerry Dungay (UPHT), Tamsin Sleep (TSDFT), William Gewanter (F2 rep), Mike Waldron (GP School rep), Tim Hookway (UPHT), Matthew Arnaouti (F1 rep), Katja Adie (RCHT) 


2. Meeting notes from December Foundation School Committee Meeting were agreed.                        

Matters arising from the previous meeting were discussed:  

Train the trainer courses 

I: SR reported that it has been agreed the course will form part of the new regional teaching programme.  

A: SR will liaise with Nikki Saulsbury to confirm further details.  

Job descriptions 

I: All trusts were reminded that the Foundation School requires a Job Description for each placement. TG reported that she had received Job Descriptions from 2 out of the 5 trusts.  A template was sent to all trusts at the beginning of 2018. 

I: TG reported that as we have not received all job descriptions; any queries that are received from students about the jobs will be redirected to the trusts. 

A: Cornwall and North Devon to forward Job Descriptions on to the Foundation School as soon as possible.  

PSA Workshop 

I: The PSA workshop was well received by all attendees. 

I: A PSA information pack for trainees who are new to the UK is in progress. 

A: AB to report to the next meeting on the information pack.  

Community Posts – travel time and expenses 

I: This has been investigated and there have been no issues reported from trainees. The community posts include clinics and ward rounds so reimbursing travel time would be difficult. 

D: Trainees can claim travel expenses whilst in a community post but not time.  

Self-assessment of learning – PDP 

I: TG reported she has sent this new form and guidance out to all trainees.  


A: GR to advise on the lack of supervision in Derriford that was raised at the December 2018 meeting 

I: F1s in a Psychiatry or community post has been raised as a national problem. There is a national agreement that Foundation Schools should have a formal process for trainees in a Psychiatry or Community post. Trainees should have a regular clinical attachment in the Acute Trust throughout their whole placement. This would be for the first placement only. Trusts will need to find a local arrangement that works for them. 

A: Trusts to think about a local plan and liaise with Sarah in order to implement this for August 2019.  

Medical School Update 

I: SR asked the Medical Schools to consider having a process to oversee information provided by the student before it is signed off by the medical school. There has been no update on this. 

A: Medical Schools to provide an update at the next meeting.  

Trainee rep matters – teaching 

A: MA to update the committee on the progress he has made contacting Andrew Kelly at Plymouth University to get a point of contact in the medical school for F1s to get involved with teaching medical students.  

Quality Panel Dates 

I: Quality Panel dates have been relaxed. Trusts will need to hold quality panels annually but they can choose the time of year that is more suitable.  

Dynamic Induction Package 

I: e-LFH will be replacing Dynamic as an induction package. Reports form trusts members was that this package is not fully developed and is not fit or purpose. Trusts in the Peninsula have decided not to use this new package until it has been fully developed.  


3. Recruitment

I: Allocations to the two year programmes will be made on Thursday 7th March 2019. 

I: Further to the Academic recruitment held in January the Peninsula have filled all 10 Academic posts. 

I: F2 stand alone interviews are being held in Birmingham on 11th and 12th March. 1147 allocations have been submitted of which 446 were current F1s. If F1s are successful they will leave another post vacant. The recruitment process will be complete by the end of May. 

I: The Peninsula have 11 vacancies 

D: All trusts agreed to enter their vacancies into the process. 


4. Regional Teaching 

I: Maxcourse – a online booking system will be available to trusts from the 1st April to upload the teaching sessions. The system will be able to produce reports on attendees which can be used for ARCP. 

I: The GP School and Psychiatry have agreed to run teaching sessions across the Peninsula. 

I:  It would be a reasonable request to use the study leave budget to fund sessions, speakers from outside organisations. 

I: Each day must be a total of 6 hours but not all sessions will need to be delivered by doctors/Consultants. Can be multi-disciplinary. 

I: There were some concerns raised by trainees in North Devon. The trainees felt they might be disadvantaged by not being able to travel to sessions in other trusts if they did not drive – the Maxcourse system operates a car share so the committee felt this would not stop them from attending courses of interest. 

I: A human factors session will be mandatory for all trainees and the Foundation School will organise these days.This will run from Plymouth, Truro and Exeter.. 

I: Plymouth suggested they might run less days with more attendees but concerns were raised about this model of teaching and it was felt that if there were more trainees in attendance they quality of teaching might reduce. 

A: KT to feedback to Plymouth to reconsider their plan. 

I: SR reported that she is trying to increase the number of attendees on Ascert to include in the regional teaching programme. 

I: 24 hours (4 days) of teaching must come from the regional teaching programme and 6 hours must be delivered by the trust. This could be case discussions but must be led by someone and would need evidence of attendance. If a trainee did 5 days from the regional teaching programme they would not be required to complete 6 hours of local teaching. 

I: SR circulated a document before the meeting which is used by Severn Foundation School to show trainees what other teaching will count towards the 60 hours required. 

A: All trusts must produce a similar document for their trusts and send to SR. 

D: All trainees must complete an entry on their Horus portfolio ‘Course/ seminar/ other learning attended’ to document the learning sessions they have attended and complete a teaching mapping document that must be produced at their ARCP. 

A: TG to update the teaching mapping document and circulate to trusts. 


5. Recording of Study Leave & Taster in F1 

I: Trusts are not able to record study leave and tasters on TIS (Trainee Information System). This will cause a problem if a trainee moves trusts between F1 and F2. The F2 trust will not know if the trainee has used study leave in F1 for tasters. 

A: Trainees should be encouraged to complete a reflection on their e-portfolio if they have completed a taster. 

A: TG to add a tick box on the teaching mapping document ‘how many study leave days have you used?’ 


6. Trainee representative matters 

I: Trainee reps were asked to pilot an online resilience training resource. The trainees reported that it would be useful if you were a trainee in difficulty. SR confirmed that the professional development unit (PDU) will use the resource. 

I: A presentation course was advertised in Plymouth with very short notice. Trainees need more time when the next one is advertised. 

I: Trainees would find it helpful to have a talk on how to manage their finance. 

A: SR to liaise with the PDU to ask if anything is available.  


7. Psychiatry 

I: SR reported that GR is supporting the sessions on Psychiatry for the regional teaching programme. If trusts are having any problems with local participation please contact SR who will put you in touch with GR. 


8. TOI Form 

I: NB reported that Exeter would like trainees of all grades to complete a TOI form at the beginning of the year to help support doctors in difficulty. 

A: SR to discuss this at the next SMT or DEG meeting as this is more than foundation. 

A: TG to send the F1-F2 TOI form to all trusts. 


9. Welcome Event 

I: The number of trusts attendees is capped at 5 due to the room capacity. Once the school know the number of attendees – trusts may be able to bring more along. 


10. Update from the National Foundation School Directors (Feb 2019) 

National Foundation Review 

I: The review group are close to sending out recommendations. It is thought that the recommendations will firm up good practice and would improve things if implemented. There is also a proposal to run several pilot schemes of which the Peninsula will be involved. 

Placement Supervision Group 

I: The placement supervision group has been updated on Horus. It will become compulsory to complete. 

A: Trusts are asked to encourage Clinical Supervisors to complete the PSG before it becomes compulsory. 

60 hours Teaching 

I: It has been agreed nationally that all F1s and F2s must complete 60 hours of teaching. 

New Foundation Gold Guide 

I: A new guide is in progress to replace the national reference guide to bring foundation in line with specialty training. 


I: The UKFPO will be recommending that all F2 stand alone trainees should take the PSA. 


I: There is a recommendation that ALS will be part of the curriculum for all F1s and will be valid for 4 years. It will replace ILS that only lasts for one year. Any ALS in house teaching must be the same standard as that delivered from the Resus Council. Funding and time for this course could be taken from the trainees F2 study budget. 

A: SR to check with Gio Edwards from HEE whether funding and leave can be taken from the study leave budget. 

A: All trusts must start planning the transition period as the new course will be fully implemented in August 2020. Current F1s will need to do ALS in their F2 year starting in August 2019 and all new F1s from 2020 will need to do ALS within the same year. 


11. AOB 

Lay Rep – Bullying and Harassment observation 

I: There has been an observation that the number of bullying and harassment cases being reported at the quality panels has risen. It has raised the question of whether the trainees get enough support. 

A: All trusts are asked to follow up with trainees who have reported a case and should take the issue to their DME before sending it to the quality team. As a School we have a duty to investigate these cases. 


National Career destinations 

I: NB reported the comparisons between the Peninsula and the National results.  




Appointed to an ST post (including GP) 



Career Break 



Service Post 



Clinical appointment (includes ST, CT and Service posts) 



Working abroad 



Application to ST and offered a post 



Appointed to GP 




Since 2011, the number of F2s going into a specialty training post has declined yearly from 71.3% in 2011 to 37.7% in 2018. (Full report attached to the minutes). 


12. Next meetings 


21st May 2019 Plumer House Plymouth (start time to be confirmed). 

25th September RILD Building Exeter (start time to be confirmed).  

10th December Plumer House Plymouth (start time to be confirmed).